Sunday, October 19, 2008



I'm writing and illustrating a book for Chloe and Carol. When I stayed with Carol at the hospital we attended an Amputee meeting together. One of the women there gave Carol a teddy bear she had made for her to take home to Chloe. The teddy bear was this wonderfully fuzzy bear who's left arm was shorter than the other and who's legs were short underneath the removable long legs. A teddy bear with a body just like Chloe's Mamas. I thought this was such a brilliant gift. Carol and I have talked about her struggles with Chloe. She told me about the strain in their relationship after being at the hospital for so long and her heartache in not feeling the same connection they once shared as Mother and Daughter. I drove home from WA making notes about this 'book' I would make for them based on the gifted bear and all about about Chloe and Carol. Something they could sit and read together. I am pretty proud of what I have come up with so far although I can only imagine what my drawings could look like if I didn't have to sketch seated on my bed next to Michael each night.

No comments: