Thursday, August 28, 2008

SUPER STAR!


Lexis called at about 1:30pm this afternoon to ask if I could bring her one of her volleyball uniforms after school. She went on to tell me that the Varsity coach had come up to her and asked if she would play on her team this afternoon in a special Varsity Tournament!! Lexis was obviously thrilled as was I! I am so proud of her!

After going through the disappointment of being placed on the Sophomore team at the beginning of try-outs about a week ago to now one game later being asked to play with the Varsity team-- just awesome!

Lexis was quite disappointed about her placement and we had talked about her options because of that. The first night she was mad enough to want to quit volleyball. We talked about the pressures that she puts upon herself to be the best and the frustrations she feels when some things don't come to her as easily as others. I explained that learning and growth is natural and expected in everything we do and her comment to me was "than I am just going to work really hard to be the best player on the sophmore team and help the other girls that are on it as well." When I spoke to her about the option of me talking to her coach and asking for her insight, Lexis said she would do it on her own and she did. Then today I watched as the Varsity Coach called Lexis specifically over at the beginning of their first game to sit next to her and then proceeded to explain to Lexis what should have been done by the other girls on the court. By the second game Lexis was put in as a starter for the Varsity team!

She did really, really well! Worked hard, stayed right in the game and really kept the team's spirits up! It was awesome to watch! (Unfortunately, I was watching between trips back and forth to the house and then to drop off and pick up Grace from her soccer practice!) But how fun and what a great happening for Lexis! I am so very proud of her, for her dedication and strong will! She is purely awesome!

Oh, and I almost forgot! Lexis said that at the end of the Tournaments the Coach's comment to her was, "See you at practice tomorrow!" ...Lexis glowed!


1 comment:

Rebekah said...

What a babe. Seriously--WHAT A BABE!!!! SO EXCITING. I was beaming all through that post! Hug her extra tight for me.

Love you, me