Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Mr. President

Living in Utah you can imagine the controversy in my personal choice with supporting Barack Obama. I have had some interesting conversations; some with friends, neighbors, Mom, Becky, Carly, verl even my kids. This year's elections have inspired me in many ways and one of those is definitely the conversation it is promoting in many.
I say "fantastic! Let's talk about it!"
Much better to have spirited discussions regarding the leader of our great nation than have the lackadaisical attitudes of days gone by.
You should hear my children, for Heaven's Sakes! They each have strong opinions and I think it is great! We don't always agree and there have been a few 'discussions' that have required us to go to the computer, searching for ideas on the Internet, hoping to educate ourselves a little more. In some cases, I have learned things I hadn't known about and in others I have hoped to open their eyes on other ways of looking at the issues.
Expectantly, the strong Republican environment they live in has influenced their thought processes. An outrageous example of this division was Noah' s comment to me today, a day after Obama has become our President Elect.
"Mom, Dad says this is a sign of the 2nd coming and now we are all going to die!"
Oh PLEASE tell me that sitting down with my sweet 10 year old to talk with him about his comment made some impact on such outlandish cries!
There is a beauty self-evident in a democracy--that not everyone will agree on the same thing. That each and every individual citizen of the United States of America has the right to Choose. We can not be forced to conform to one mind, one idea, one way of living. It is a freedom that can be taken advantage of and a right each human being deserves. Not everyone in this country voted for Barack Obama. That is a fact. Truth be told, I had questions and disagreements of my own in some of his platforms and in the same light, I respect John McCain and his service to our country. And yet, does the result now mean that we become calloused and hateful? Do we teach our young children that there is no need to respect our leaders? Or do we tell them we will stand together as Americans, we will continue to let our voices be heard all the while teaching them the importance of a democracy?
I am very proud of my country. On this day, in particular, I am delighted that an individual who I believe is a great PERSON has been elected to be our President. I am inspired by the change this country is making for the better including those issues that include the rights for every citizen regardless. I am encouraged by my children's interest in being involved and last night as we sat in front of the television watching the electoral votes come in we discussed this process, we cheered for our 'team' and the darling children that they are did all of this while building Lego forms of the two candidates. Never mind, McCain was made to stand three times as tall as Obama-- it was my little group of Americans taking part in a historical event and that is what matters most.

No comments: